This is what my kind of field work looked like in Denali. It was a lot of hiking for four days to our transects where we would locate our sites using our GPS. We would then dump the contents of the cup (soapy water, coolant/antifreeze, and the arthropod bodies) into a strainer, reuse the liquid by dumping it back into the cup(add more coolant if needed for preservation purposes) and place the strained contents into a whirl-pak as pictured. At times we would fill one entire large whirl-pak and sometimes more in each site (most of what fell in our traps though were non-target species such as black flies and forest gnats).

Once we were finished with our four days of field work that next week we would spend hours under the microscope looking through the whirl-pak contents and working to separate the arthropods (bees, flies, beetles, spiders, butterflies, moths, etc.). After sorting through all of the baggies, if time permitted we got to wash the bumble bees in a mason jar using dish soap and then blow dry them with a hair dryer to get their fur fluffy and nice for pinning and identification.

It was definitely a messy task, getting coolant on our clothes and hands, having bug parts accidentally on our hands and arms and getting ethanol on the desk and on us, but that, I’ve learned is how field work goes and that’s how it went.

Share: